Fri, 03/09/2012 - 08:38
- 1982: A is for Alibi (book)
- 1984: Crossword Puzzle (song)
- Cardiac Arrest (song) (video; 2:54) (wikipedia) by Madness, album 7; lyrics:
"Ten more minutes till he gets there / The crossword's nearly done. / It's been so hard these days / Not nearly so much fun.
Think of seven letters / Begin and end in 'C' / Like a big American car / But misspelt with a 'D'."
- 'A' is for Alibi (novel; first in 'alphabet mysteries' series) by Sue Grafton; her books appear in short crossword clues, e.g., 'Sue Grafton's "___ for Lawless"' (3); "My landlord, Henry Pitts, is a former commercial baker who makes a living now, at the age of eighty-one, by devising obnoxiously difficult crossword puzzles, which he likes to try out on me." ~Kinsey Millhone, fictional private investigator
- United States Open crossword puzzle-solving tournament directed by Will Shortz, 1982-1986
- the world's "largest crossword" by Robert Turcot. It offered 12,489 clues across and 13,125 down in 82,951 squares. largest after 1996? 7' by 7' of wall space: 28,000 clues, for over 91,000 squares; largest after 2008? 112 m2: 160,000 squares, with 30,711 clues across and 30,690 clues down or 320,500 squares?
- Chapter and Verse (song) (video; 3:42) by Utopia (Todd Rundgren), album Utopia;
lyrics: "I got the dictionary in my hand / But I can't seem to find the word I'm looking for
I've checked every letter, now I'm up to Z / There just ain't anymore / I've got a million choices in my head"
- Crossword Puzzle (song) (video; 3:38) by Barbara Mandrell, album Clean Cut; MayasMix @ 32:33;
lyrics & .mp3: "What we've become is 1 Across, and also rhymes with rules / Two Down is what we tell that's opposite the truth / Three Across is what we do to each other's feelings / Four Across begins with 'A', and means disagreeing."
- Tin Men movie; His unutterably unhappy wife (Nora) does crosswords, waiting until 3 AM for Tilley to come home, obtuse and uncomprehending of her need for escape and fulfillment.
- Wikipedia: 1980s
- The Decades That Invented the Future Part 9: 1980s Space Shuttle Columbia; IBM PC; Macintosh; MTV; Miracle on Ice; Leveraged Buyout; Nintendo NES; Sandra Day O'Conner; Stealth; Additive Manufacturing (early 3D printing); In-Car Stereos; Autofocus; 12/21/2012
- Paleofuture: 1980s