- 1913: Wynne's "FUN Word-Cross"
- Besides New York World, other US newspapers begin to add cross words: Pittsburgh Press (1916), Boston Globe (1917)
- Oreo introduced by National Biscuit Company (Nabisco); 3/6/1912
- OREO: popular vowel-rich crossword fill; black-and-white
- see: many OREO definitions and some classic OREO-themed puzzles and definitions; [Refs:Oreo]
- "FUN's Word-Cross Puzzle" (Sun, 12/21/1913) by Arthur Wynne in New York World
- The only directions:...
- "Four weeks after the puzzle first appeared,...
- "Wynne asked The World to pay to patent the crossword,...
- Crossword centennial: 2013 many articles & puzzles
- Crossword inventor honored with puzzling Google doodle 12/20/2013
- Searching for the crossword inventor: a Clearwater connection 11/1/2013
- History of the Crossword Puzzle video: 2:13; How did Arthur Wynne go from musician and journalist to inventing crossword puzzles?
- Boston Globe; the puzzle; 3/4/1917
- Happy 100th birthday, crossword puzzle! the Globe's earliest puzzle -- and a century of gaming obsession; 12/22/2013
- section: Oreo
- Wikipedia: 1910s
- The Decades That Invented the Future: Part 2: 1910s Flip-Flop Circuit; Panama Canal; Golf in US; Fighter Planes; Prohibition; Erector Set; First Crossword Puzzle; Electric Household Refrigerator; Modern Assembly Line; Superconductivity; Nikon; Snap-On Wrench; 10/25/2012
- Paleofuture: 1910s
- 10 Lifehacks from 100 Years Ago How To: Make a Fire Extinguisher; Extract a Splinter;Preserve Eggs; Fell a Tree; Stop a Mad Dog; Keep Plants Watered While Away on Holiday; Light a Match in the Wind; Make a Chair to Cross a Stream; Rescue Someone from Electric Shock; Make a Water Filter -- from Gallaher's Cigarettes; 7/21/2013
- What May Happen in the Next Hundred Years The Ladies' Home Journal; What the Future Looked Like 100 Years Ago -- and 5 Predictions That Came True; 2/24/2012
- Wikipedia: OREO (disambiguation) novel, spider, operating system (Android), ...
- Belted Galloways: the 'Oreo-cookie' cow; Wikipedia
- Android 8.0 Oreo is official, starts rollout to devices 8/21/2017
- When Just Vanilla Won't Do, How About a Blueberry Pie Oreo? 7/3/2017
- Fireworks Oreos? A Reporter Digests 7/3/2017
- Oreo debuts new flavor, offers $500K for next cookie Firework Oreo ('pop rocks' in the creme); 5/9/2017
- How to Cheat at the Oreo Twist Game: Lab Tested, Engineer Approved 10/16/2016
- The World Spent $2.5 Billion on Oreos in 2014 2/13/2015
- Is it true that Oreos are more addictive to lab rats than cocaine? more sensational than scientific; 10/16/2013
- The "Oreo" -- An "Awakening" sculpture at Villanova U.; 8/13/2013
- On Oreo's 101st Birthday, 13 Facts About The Cookie That Will Blow Your Mind 3/6/2013
- The Oreo Turns 100, With a Nod to the Past 2/27/2012
- Getting the lard out: The koshering of the Oreo cookie in 1997; original recipe called for pig lard; 2/26/2008