- Choose a level of difficulty appropriate for you
- Balance challenge and frustration -- not too easy, not impossible
- 'mini' (5x5) puzzle, e.g., NTYT; very easy
- 'commuter' puzzle = same weekday difficulty, e.g., Mail Tribune, USA Today
- NYT, LAT: Mon = 'easiest', ..., Sat = 'most difficult'; NYT Sun = ~'hard Wed / easy Thu'
- "Saturday Stumper" (Newsday) even harder? or Cryptics for novices?
- You can make any puzzle easier, e.g., by asking a partner/friend or using tools (later)
- -- or harder, e.g., Crossword Golf (below)
- "Men in their forties are like the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle:...
- "Q. Is it 'cheating' to consult a dictionary or other reference sources when stumped by a crossword puzzle clue?...
- "What I want, the ideal, is for you to be stressed to the limit...
- "When I used to commute into NYC, I’d sometimes play 'crossword golf,' a simple game I concocted to add an extra challenge to early-week puzzles. The object is to get as low a score as possible:
- "I've been working on 'The New York Times' crossword puzzle on the subway...
- "New Rule: The person who sat in my seat...
- example puzzle: NYT (Sun), 1/23/2011 [$: .puz]
= "1/30/11" (Mail Tribune) [.pdf] (filled in by Steve); [puzzle]; [solution]
- Since You Asked: Crossword outcome is a win-win Mail Tribune how has 2 Sunday puzzles: NYT & easier Parker; 12/11/2016
- A Tour Through Will Shortz's Puzzle Collection Puzzlemaster reveals which puzzle he cannot solve; 12/13/2013
- Interview with Rich Norris (LA Times) 3/23/2009
- Cartoon: How to Solve the NYT Crossword Puzzle by Patrick Merrell [FLOWCHART]; 1/24/2009
- The Two Ronnies - Crossword ;-)[video: 5:15]; 12/22/2007
- How to Solve the New York Times Crossword Puzzle (Will Shortz); 4/8/2001
- Word Buff: 1. Select the Right Crossword Puzzles
- Feyer: 1. Find the puzzles that are right for you; 3. Challenge yourself