- With more practice, you'll get better over time.
- When stuck, set a puzzle aside, take a break (or nap), and come back to it later.
- When really stuck, search online using a clue, or use an app's "Reveal Word" feature -- to fill-in one answer. Now, can you make progress with crossings? Repeat as necessary
- "The nice thing about doing a crossword puzzle is,...
- "I love doing the 'New York Times' crossword puzzle, even...
- "I'm patient with crossword puzzles...
- "People who work crossword puzzles know...
- How to Solve The New York Times Crossword How To Get Started: Practice Makes, If Not Perfect, A Much Better Solver; Find Your 'Gimmes'; Use The Crossings, Luke; It's Not Cheating, It's Learning; Take A Break If You Get Stuck; Solve With A Friend; Sit Back And Enjoy Your Accomplishment; 11/2017
- How to strengthen your crossword-solving muscles -- the Diana NYAD way "We should never, ever give up"; 9/21/2013
- What I've Learned Through Crossword Puzzles 1/25/2013
- Sleep to Solve Crossword Puzzles Better 7/4/2010
- HSW 7: Take a Break; Word Buff: 4. Work on Your Mental Game
- about.com: 9. I Give Up!; Wonder 5. Take a Break
- Hinman's 5 tips Keep practicing; Keep an open mind; Be prepared to erase wrong answers; Keep staring at the damn thing; If you're still stuck, leave, do something non-intellectual, and come back