- newspapers, magazines, puzzle books
- also, printing, .pdf from Applications, Web Sites [below]
- + no training; familiar
- + portable
- + no batteries required
- + recyclable
- - reading glasses, lamp, pen(cil) and/or eraser may be needed
- - dead trees, delivery trucks
- "Only on paper...
- "It's amazing that the amount of news...
- "For many years, it seemed as if nothing changed in Norway...
- web browser with an interactive, embedded player and/or downloadable files
- + largest number & widest variety of puzzles;
many newspaper puzzles appear online, e.g., Mail Tribune (Universal); SF Chronicle#1 (LA Times);
Oregonian #1 (Williams Square), #2 (NYT); Daily Tidings, SF Chronicle#2 (Tulsa World);
these print puzzles may differ from those offered on newspaper's web site (if any)
- + save or download puzzle for later?
- + print, .pdf files?
- - different user interfaces for sites & embedded players; less customizable
- - advertising
- - online connection
- - if Flash or Java plugin used, security risk/updates or not avail. on all platforms, i.e., iOS
- [section: Web Sites]
- desktop and mobile apps to access and solve puzzles
- + download, import, sync puzzles from variety of sources
- + offline use, save progress
- + consistent, customizable user interface (vs. multiple web sites)
- + grid size/layout, font size?
- + linked clues, e.g., see n-Across
- + timers; social integration; fastest solvers?
- + pen/pencil mode
- + hints; dictionary/search integration?
- + printing?
- - something new to learn
- - cost (for some; AL free)
- [section: Applications]
- "To err is human,...
- "There's an app for that." ~Apple advertising slogan
- "A computer lets you make more...
Which to Use?
- It will depend, of course, on the number, variety and difficulty of puzzles that you'd like to solve, places where you do puzzles, convenience, features desired, comfort level with computers and web sites, etc.
- Here's what I (Steve) am currently using ("Your mileage may vary")
- [daily/weekly] Crosswords (iPad): Brendan Quiqley; Chron. of Higher Ed.; Crossword Nation; MacNamara's Band; LA Times*; Newsday; NYT ($); Reagle*; iPad stores 1000s of puzzles, large screen, portable, excellent battery life
- [occasionally] authoring: Crossword Compiler (Windows app on Mac via Parallels Desktop (VM); formerly via CrossOver); export .puz; generate interactive & .pdf
- [monthly] download *LA Times [.puz] on iPad; save in Crosswords (app) which doesn't access them directly; or download to desktop and print with Across Lite
- [monthly] download *Reagle (4 current puzzles) to Crosswords, and [.pdf], print
- [occasionally] download and print CodeWords
- [daily] Mail Tribune -- sometimes after first pass by spouse
- [monthly] crosswordmug.com "Don't Just Do the Puzzle OVER a Cup of Coffee -- Do It ON Your Cup of Coffee"; $10.98 @ Shop N Kart; print clues & .pdf template (to avoid writing on/erasing mug...)
- [weekly/monthly] Mail Tribune: Sun (NYT); magazines: AARP; The Week
- [monthly] print puzzles (LAT, Reagle; Codewords; KenKen; Sudoku; Numbrix; ...) for gym bag, car and breakfast table
- How Newspapers Can Make Augmented Reality Sexy (and Profitable) e.g., paper crossword via Blippar app; 6/11/2013
- Will Shortz's Personal Puzzle Collection video: 2:25; crosswords and others; 11/8/2012
- Kindle Touch breakthrough: Startup debuts handwriting recognition in puzzle e-book 2/14/2012
- "Since You Asked" (SYA) (Mail Tribune):
What's an 11-letter word for 'crossword puzzle search'? (puzzle syndication); 8/1/2009;
Misprinted crossword clue leaves her puzzled 11/10/2005;
There's always the option of not peeking 7/21/2005;
How to get back crossword answers 4/1/2005;
Finding the solution is a puzzler 10/28/1998;
Puzzles should be easier soon 12/19/1997
- Simon and Schuster; Dell Crosswords
- Crossword Books For Kids; Easy Crossword Books
- Pop Culture Crosswords; Will Shortz's Favorite Crossword Puzzles
- Challenging Crossword Puzzles; Crossword Puzzle Books from The New York Times
- The Total Brain Workout: 450 Puzzles to Sharpen Your Mind, Improve Your Memory and Keep Your Brain Fit By Marcel Danesi