- Solving crosswords can be a social activity: a way to meet people, play together, etc. -- or to isolate.
- [Refs]: "Couple reveal secret to 70 years of marriage"
- [Refs]: "Crosswords Are Like Sex"
- [Refs]: "Doing crosswords or sudoku 'helps couples get over arguments'"
- [Refs:Marriage Proposals]: "For Alexandria couple, wedding proposal in a crossword puzzle just fit"
- "One thing that I do find really sexy is...
- "Another reason for the extraordinary success of crossword puzzles...
- "Relationships are like crossword puzzles:...
- "My wife thinks she's better than me at puzzles...
- "Scrabble is the one that George...
- "A man was working a crossword puzzle and asked, 'What is a four letter word for...
- "Never let a problem to be solved become...
- see Refs: Marriage Proposals; see section: History: 1920s: marital strife
- 40 ways to add romance to your relationship 4. Create a game. Design a personalized crossword puzzle for your sweetie with romantic clues such as, "Where did we have our first kiss?" It's easy at discoveryeducation.com/free-puzzlemaker; 2/2013
- Couple reveal secret to 70 years of marriage faith, family, friends and crosswords; 8/23/2011
- Life Is Shortz a 2-Act Play by Lee Marcus; [video; 14:38]; 3/27/2011
- Crosswords Are Like Sex (for old people) 'one word/thing leads to another, and before you know it, you're done'; 3/22/2011
- Doing crosswords or sudoku 'helps couples get over arguments' 3/11/2010
- Crossword Protocol "I recently noticed a week-old, half-finished crossword puzzle on my mother's kitchen table. I filled in a few answers -- no big deal. But Mom went ballistic. What's the protocol on helping out on crosswords?" 4/20/2009
- Dear Abby: "I chuckled when I saw the letter from "Eating Single but Not Alone" (Feb. 5), about discovering single men in a diner at breakfast.... My advice to single women: Bring the crossword puzzle from the daily paper and you won't feel so awkward. It will give you a legitimate reason for starting a conversation, and you may even get offered help with the answers." 4/10/2007
- HSW: Top 5 Ways for the Aging to Remain Socially Engaged: Game On crossword clubs
- Love and Relationships Crosswords: Easy and Hard
- Marriage and Family: The Quest for Intimacy textbook; crosswords in 19 Chapters; 2004
- Crossword marriage proposal: Where are they now? 12/21/2011
- For Alexandria couple, wedding proposal in a crossword puzzle just fit 4/16/2011
- Marriage proposal in crossword puzzle yields correct answer: Yes! 9/26/2007
- Jonesin' for Marriage Eugene Weekly; 7/14/2005
- A Modest Proposal Newsday; 3/9/1998
- Marriage proposal puzzle [NYT] 1998; Will Shortz Discusses (video: 2:56); included 20-A: "1729 Jonathan Swift pamphlet": A MODEST PROPOSAL; 56-A: "1992 Paula Abdul hit": WILL YOU MARRY ME