- Why do sites provide puzzles? joy of sharing; advertising/referrals: sell custom puzzles, services, books, tshirts; benefit for paper subscribers; current, premium or additional puzzles, etc.
- If you are easily overwhelmed, you might want to start with these puzzle sites, selected from the longer table (below).
- LA Times (LAT) (create free account)
- NY Times (NYT) (some free; $)
- Reagle, Merl (4 recent; free)
- Universal (same as Mail Tribune Mo-Sa)
- Steve's puzzles
- Washington Post
- "A journey of a thousand sites begins...
- "The Internet is the most important single development...
- "It's been my policy to view the Internet...
- "Getting information off the Internet is like...
- There are thousands of web sites where you can print, download or interactively play crosswords. The summary table below lists some of the 'better', 'major' (mostly US) crossword sites, along with several 'List' sites which catalog many more recommended sites. You can discover even more sites on your own by searching, e.g., Google "crossword"; however, it's best to add a particular topic or theme to limit the results, and of course, use safe browsing and computing practices when visiting any site.
- If you want to download .pdf files for printing later, or .puz files for interactive use in a crossword application, here is a brief refresher on downloading files via your browser:
- find file to download from text description or file (link);
e.g., NYT 'Classic', Reagle (Sun); LAT;
- with cursor, check suffix (.puz, .pdf) in status/location bar; e.g., in Firefox
ctrl-click) the description (link)
note: what happens after a (normal) left-click depends on the settings in your browser:
will it use a browser plugin or helper app to open the file, save file to Downloads folder, or prompt you?
If file displays in a browser window or tab, use your browser's
File: Save Ascommand.
- in browser's popup menu, select "Save/Download" command
- choose location (folder) to save file
- open file in appropriate application (double click file, or right-click:
Open With), e.g., .pdf with Adobe Acrobat; .puz with Across Lite
- solve and enjoy!
|about.com||Java, .puz, .pdf||Acrostics, Cryptic, Diagramless, Easy, Foreign Language,
Kids, NYT (Easy: M,T,W), Newspaper, Standard
|American Crossword Puzzle Tournament||site list||# sites: online: 22; American: 13; Cryptic: 21;
Crisscross: 9; Kids: 4; non-English: 31
Try/time yourself on 8 tournament puzzles! 2006: free; 2008-2017: $20/year; Java required; Win/Mac
|Ashland Daily Tidings||NA (not avail on paper's site?)||paper: Mon-Sat: Tulsa World [United]?|
|Boston Globe [Universal]||Flash||Sun: [.puz]; 2012 Emily Cox & Henry Rathvon, eds.|
|ChrisWords||.puz, .pdf, CW||Sun; Chris King|
|Chronicle of Higher Education||.puz, CW||Fri; Patrick Berry, ed.|
|Cruciverb||list||.puz (LAT, WashPost); sites; blogs|
|Gaffney, Matt||Java; .puz?; CW||M-F|
|Guardian (UK)||JS||Quick, Cryptic, Quiptic, Genius, ...|
|Hamel, Ray||site list||# sites: Daily: 47; Weekly: 26; Monthly: 16
non-English: 54; Other: 195 -- no longer updated
|Independent (UK)||image; CW||Concise; Cryptic|
|Inkwell||Java; CW||Fri: [.puz]; 2012 Ben Tausig, ed.|
|Johnston, Will||site list||# sites: US: 17; Cryptic: 14
WJ: [.puz] themed; themeless; cryptic
|Jonesin'||Java; CW||Thu: [.puz] Matt Jones|
|Joseph [King]||JS, .pdf; CW||Thomas Joseph|
|Klahn, Bob [CrossSynergy]||.puz, .gif, Java|
|LA Times||Flash, .puz; CW*||[.puz] (via browse) (create free account);
Rich Norris & Joyce Nichols Lewis, eds.
paper: San Francisco Chronicle #1
+Sun [Flash] same as Merl Reagle
|Mail Tribune||image||page reproduction;
Sun: [NYT]; JumbleCrosswords
|New York Times [NYT]||JS, .puz; CW||daily: "Premium" $7/mo; $40/yr (less for digital/paywall subscribers)
Classic; Learning Network (~Wed)
5 free puzzles; articles
paper, e.g., (MT Sun: 1 week lag)
about.com: ">Mo; Tu; We (archive; 2-6 year lag)
11 Remarkable Crosswords for New Solvers hand-picked samples by Will Shortz; 2/14/2017
indexes: nytxword; xwordinfo$; by constructor
1942-1993 from Pre-Shortzian Puzzle Project
paper: Mail Tribune (Sun; 1 week lag); Oregonian #2 (5 week lag)
daily Seattle Times; (6 week lag; Java, .pdf; paywall?)
Wordplay blog; Solving section: other blogs
|Newsday [Creator]||Java; .pdf; CW||Stanley Newman, ed.|
|(Onion) AV Club||.puz, .pdf; CW||Wed: [.puz]; 2012 Ben Tausig, ed.|
|Oregonian [King]||JS, .pdf||online: Joseph, Premier, Sheffer
paper: #1 [Williams Square]; #2 [NYT]
|Piscop, Fred||.puz||same as MIstupid JS
archives [.puz]: #1, #2
|Premier [King]||JS, .pdf; CW||Sun; Donna Stone|
|Quigley, Brendan Emmett||JS, .pdf, .puz; CW||Bawdy Language|
|Reagle, Merl||JS; .pdf; CW*||Sun: [.puz]; 2012; Phil. Inq.; unfortunately, Reagle died in 2015, so 'new' puzzles are from previous years|
|refdesk.com||site list||# sites: 68|
|San Francisco Chronicle [Universal]||Flash||paper: #1 (LA Times); #2: Tulsa World [United]|
|Sheffer [King]||JS, .pdf; CW||Eugene Sheffer|
|Telegraph (UK)||CW||Cryptic, Quick and others; $|
|Tulsa World [United Feature? Univ?]||Flash, .pdf||paper: Ashland Daily Tidings; SF Chronicle #2|
|(UK) Crossword Puzzles||site list||# sites: American: 8; Education: 5; Other: 7;
Cryptic: 17; Themed: 4
|[Universal] (uclick)||Flash||paper: Mail Tribune Mon-Sat;
|USA Today||Flash||Quick Cross (4x4)|
|Wall Street Journal (WSJ): Fri, Sat||Flash, Java, .pdf||Fri: [.puz] Mike Shenk, ed.|
|Washington Post [CrosSynergy]||Flash, .pdf||[.puz] (via browse)
Post Puzzler Peter Gordon, ed.
||JS; .pdf; .puz||
Enneagram Crucigram; Dec 2012
A Winning Combo; 3/20/2013
Tour de Fat; Sep 4, 2010