- "Q. Is it 'cheating' to consult a dictionary or other reference sources when stumped by a crossword puzzle clue?...
- People: ask a partner / friend for help
- Paper: use dictionaries, or printed solutions
- Online: search using the clue, match a partial word pattern, or locate complete solution.
- Search for clue online via search engine or encyclopedia site
- browser, e.g., Google, DuckDuckGo, and/or Wikipedia
- "___ maior, minor cessat" (3) [Google] =
- "Candid Camera" co-host Jo Ann (5) [Google] =
- "1956 film that earned an Oscar nomination for 11-year-old Patty McCormack (10) [Google] =
- crossword app, e.g., iPad: Crosswords: Hints: Google Search
- Check word in dictionary
- Find matching words via patterns: guessed letters & match others via wildcard: ? (single) or * (any)
- dictionary web site, e.g.,
- OneAcross: ?a?a?a; clue: fruit; pattern: b?????
- OneLook; ?a?a?a; ba*a?a
- dictionary app, e.g., iPad: WordWeb
- crossword app, e.g., iPad: Crosswords: Hints: OneAcross
- Check or Reveal (part of) the solution via crossword app, e.g., Crosswords, Across Lite
- Show / Check incorrect letter(s) (letter/word/puzzle) via color/symbol,
e.g., iPad: Crosswords, result; Mac: Across Lite
- Reveal correct letter/word/puzzle, e.g., iPad: Crosswords; Mac: Across Lite
- Paper: find puzzle solution (next day, other page)
- Online: search for solution by clue(s), or browse crossword blogs by date, e.g., Sat NYT 9/11/2010
- Selectively peek at a clue or area
- "I cheat when...
- "It is always easier for...
- "For any three answers, call from a touch-tone phone...
- see sections: Ref: Applications, Ref: Web
- about.com: 10. Looking Up Answers Is Cheating, Right?
- HSW 1: Use a Reference Book; Wonder 7. Outside Solving Help
- Word Buff: 5. Use Crossword Solving Resources
- see Summary above for examples
- Crossword Giant search puzzles, clues, answers for: New York Times; Wall Street Journal; Universal; Jonesin'; USA Today; King Feature Syndicate: Thomas Joseph, Eugene Sheffer, Premier Sunday; Newsday; Ink Well; LA Times; Canadiana; A.V Club; Thinks.com; Boston Globe; Jonesin; Washington Post; Chronicle of Higher Education; Irish Times
- Wolfram Alpha anagram, scrabble, rhyming, letter pattern/combo, cryptogram, anagram
- Use Wolfram|Alpha to solve crossword puzzles
- XWord Info New York Times Crossword Answers, Stats, Observations; some pages require registration
- Global Clue searchable crossword clues database with the most up-to-date solutions
- Crossword Quick Solve; More Words; Word Finder; WordAssault
- 3 Online Dictionaries: Will Johnston: Random House, Webster, OneLook
- MakeUseOf: 7 Quick Tools: One Across; AllWords; CrossTips; Crossword Clue Solver; Ultralingua Word Hunt; AskOxford; Dictionary.com
- Word Finders: Scrabble; Crossword Puzzles; Vocabulary & Spelling
- a2zwordfinder; crosstips; whatsthisword; wordsdomination
- Wikipedia: Aids to solve crosswords: Almanacs; Dictionaries (Anagram, Biographical, Rhyming); Encyclopedias; Gazetteers; Thesauri
- Tools Lists: Ray Hamel =36; American Crossword Tournament; Crossword Puzzles (UK)
- Move Over, Wikipedia. Dictionaries Are Hot Again. 2/11/2017
- From Seussian To Snollygoster, Merriam-Webster Adds Over 1,000 New Words 2/8/2017
- Describing Words Finds Adjectives For the Noun You're Writing About Describing Words; 11/27/2016
- Scouring the Web to Make New Words 'Lookupable' one million 'missing' English words not found in traditional dictionaries: wordnik.com; 10/3/2015
- Graphing the distribution of English letters towards the beginning, middle or end of words 5/27/2014
- Crossword puzzle square utilization analysis 3/11/2014