- "Q. Is it 'cheating' to consult a dictionary or other reference sources when stumped by a crossword puzzle clue?
A. It's your puzzle. Solve it any way you want."
~Will Weng (2nd NYT Crossword Ed.; as quoted by Will Shortz)
- "For any three answers, call from a touch-tone phone...: $1.49 each minute."
"Answers [free] on Page ... of today's paper." ~Mail Tribune; Sun NYT crossword
- "It is always easier for one man to solve another man's problem." ~Chinese Proverb
- Summary: if you're stuck, selectively lookup clues:
general search using Google, Bing, Wikipedia;
or use app's clue search, or puzzle site's search, e.g., Yahoo
- search for word patterns: fill in letters you know,
match others via wildcard: ? (single) or * (any)
- check or peek at (part of) the solution (Check, Reveal, or saved/online solution)?
- Some example clue searches (from Sat NYT 9/11/2010)
- 1956 film that earned an Oscar nomination for 11-year-old Patty McCormack (10) [Google] =
- "___ plaintive anthem fades": Keats (3) [Google] =
- "___ maior, minor cessat" (3) [Google] =
- "Candid Camera" co-host Jo Ann (5) [Google] =
- about.com: 10. Looking Up Answers Is Cheating, Right?
- HSW 1: Use a Reference Book; Wonder 7. Outside Solving Help
- Word Buff: 5. Use Crossword Solving Resources
- dictionary lookup (partial word matches, e.g., ba?a?a), web search (e.g., current clue via Google)
- [Applications: Sources], e.g., Crosswords: Gallery #10: One Across, Google Search
- [Applications: Authoring], e.g., WordWeb Pro (Crossword Compiler): Gallery #12 (pattern)
- Show / Check incorrect letter(s) (letter/word/puzzle) via color/symbol
- Reveal correct letter/word/puzzle
- Crossword Puzzle Help (iPhone)
- Matt Ginsberg's Clue Database
- One Across; try: ?a?a?a; clue: fruit; pattern: b?????
- OneLook; try: ?a?a?a; ba*a?a
- Crossword Giant search puzzles, clues, answers for: New York Times; Wall Street Journal; Universal; Jonesin'; USA Today; King Feature Syndicate: Thomas Joseph, Eugene Sheffer, Premier Sunday; Newsday; Ink Well; LA Times; Canadiana; A.V Club; Thinks.com; Boston Globe; Jonesin; Washington Post; Chronicle of Higher Education; Irish Times
- Crossword Quick Solve; More Words; Word Finder; WordAssault
- 3 Online Dictionaries: Will Johnston: Random House, Webster, OneLook
- MakeUseOf: 7 Quick Tools: One Across; AllWords; CrossTips; Crossword Clue Solver; Ultralingua Word Hunt; AskOxford; Dictionary.com
- Word Finders: Scrabble; Crossword Puzzles; Vocabulary & Spelling
- a2zwordfinder; crosstips; whatsthisword; wordsdomination
- Wikipedia: Aids to solve crosswords: Almanacs; Dictionaries (Anagram, Biographical, Rhyming); Encyclopedias; Gazetteers; Thesauri
- Tools Lists: Ray Hamel =34; American Crossword Tournament; Crossword Puzzles (UK)
- Use Wolfram|Alpha to solve crossword puzzles