The following sections discuss devices, describe features, provide initial comparisons, and review a few "major" eReaders and tablets from companies with associated eBookstores; "?" marks models that may be discontinued or not yet announced.
- eBook-only device
- black&white "eInk" display (diag. size); light*; buttons/keyboard; WiFi,3G?
- battery life: days, weeks; weight: ~8 oz.; ~$70-
- 5": Kobo Mini
- 6": Kindle (Keyboard; Paperwhite*); Kobo (Touch; Glo*); Nook SimpleTouch (Glowlight*)
- eBooks (via eReader apps) and other apps (including 'enhanced' eBooks)
- color LCD display (diag. size); touch interface; WiFi,3G/4G? web/email access, apps, games, ...
- battery life: hours; ~$150-500
- 7": Kindle Fire; Kobo Arc; Nook HD; iPad Mini (7.9")
- 9": Kindle Fire HD (8.9"); Nook HD Plus (9.5"); iPad2, iPad w/ Retina Display (9.7")
- can be used to read E-books -- to be discussed briefly later
- smartphone, MP3 players: small (or no) screen?
- desktop, laptop computers: portability?
- non-major/non-publisher eReaders, general tablets: support?
- Personal Tech > E-Book Readers (NYT articles)
- 5 Ways Ereaders Are Still Better Than Tablets 12/21/2012
- E-Reader Market Shrinks Faster Than Many Predicted 12/20/2012
- Sorry, but e-readers aren't dying 12/12/2012
- After rapid growth, ebook readers set for collapse with shipments plummeting 36% in 2012 single-task devices vs. tablets; 12/10/2012
- Thanks to smartphones, we're now in the golden age of reading 10/12/2012
- Paper Or Plastic? (e-Readers still not satisfying, mature products); 3/9/2012
- An e-reader or tablet for Christmas? 12/6/2011
- The Word on E-Book Readers How to read between the lines; 11/2011
- Deciding on a Book, and How to Read It (NYT comparison); 8/11/2011
- Is a tablet or an e-reader better for students? 7/24/2011
- Nobody Needs a Tablet. So Why Are We Gobbling Them Up? 3/24/2011
- Are E-Books Cost Effective? The Pros and Cons of E-Books vs. paper: price; 12/7/2010
- Blurring the Line Between Apps and Books 10/24/2010
- What Kind of E-Reader Are You? Our guide to finding the best way to read books, mags, blogs, tweets, and newspapers; (chart); 9/25/2010