- "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." ~Niels Bohr
- "The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time." ~Abraham Lincoln
- "Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." ~Albert Einstein
- "The future will be better tomorrow." ~Dan Quayle
- "The future ain't what it used to be." ~Yogi Berra
- "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" ~Murphy's Law
- "Our most powerful 21st-century technologies -- robotics, genetic engineering, and nanotech -- are threatening to make humans an endangered species." ~Bill Joy in Why the future doesn't need us, 2004 [Wikipedia]
- "The most exciting breakthroughs of the 21st century will not occur because of technology but because of an expanding concept of what it means to be human." ~John Naisbitt
- "Soon silence will have passed into legend. Man has turned his back on silence. Day after day he invents machines and devices that increase noise and distract humanity from the essence of life, contemplation, meditation...tooting, howling, screeching, booming, crashing, whistling, grinding, and trilling bolster his ego. His anxiety subsides. His inhuman void spreads monstrously like a gray vegetation." ~Jean Arp
- "When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened." ~John M. Richardson, Jr.
Techno-utopianism or dystopia?
disruptive technology; technological determinism; law of unintended consequences;
Unabomber: Industrial Society and Its Future
Internet Society: What Will The Internet Look Like In 10 Years?
Scenarios: Common Pool; Boutique Networks; Moats and Drawbridges; Porous Garden
Full Immersion in the Cyberworld Is Coming
Predicting the future of the Internet is easy: anything it hasn’t yet dramatically transformed, it will
And Now, Predictions We'll Back 100 Percent
Major Religions on the End of the World
[Pew] Future of the Internet III: How the Experts See It
Google CEO Schmidt: "People Aren't Ready for the Technology Revolution"
Tim Berners-Lee Details 4 Concerns About Future of Mobile Web: 1. Privacy, 2. Accountability, 3. Neutrality, 4. Rest of World
The Third Replicator ("temes and teme machines")
'Hyperbolic map' of the internet will save it from COLLAPSE
Gartner's 2010 Hype Cycle Special Report Evaluates Maturity of 1,800 Technologies: Technology Trigger; Peak of Inflated Expectations; Trough of Disillusionment; Slope of Enlightenment; Plateau of Productivity
Tidings: Unintended Consequences: Schneider show looks at impact of digital age
New Book Highlights How Technology Isn't Killing Society, While Highlighting Techno Moral Panics Of The Past
Cyberwar could be 'worse than tsunami'
Skynet; film: The Matrix
Tom Hanks Uses Web to Plot the Future (film: Electric City)
book: One Second After (ElectroMagnetic Pulse (EMP))
film: Brazil; Google’s Earth
HSW: What would happen if the Internet collapsed?
HSW: Could hackers devastate the U.S. economy?
HSW: What is the future of the Internet?
- "I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords." ~Ken Jennings (quoting from The Simpsons)
Eric Schmidt: Welcome to the “Age of Augmented Humanity”
The A.I. Revolution Is On -- Today's AI bears little resemblance
MailTribune: Artificial intelligence: All it lacks is common sense, says AI expert and author Nils Nilsson; The Quest for Artificial Intelligence: A History of Ideas and Achievements by Nils Nilsson
RoboEarth teaches robots to learn from peers, pour European fruit beverages (Skynet?)
Transhumanism FAQ; Transhumanist Declaration
Cyborg brains: The next evolutionary step (World Wide Mind)
What it's like to be cut off from your Internet brain implant; Brain Coprocessor Platform Needed
IEEE Special Report, NYT: Merely Human? That’s So Yesterday [HSW]
Ray Kurzweil [Ray Kurzweil's Slippery Futurism; Kurzweil video; 6:54]
Singlarity Institute for AI
2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal (Singularity; Kurzweil)
What Is The Singularity And Will You Live To See It?
Getting serious about the Singularity
Why the Singularity isn't going to happen