- "It's what we think we know that keeps us from learning." ~Claude Bernard
- "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I'll understand." ~Chinese Proverb
- "Because the Internet has an aura of 'technology' surrounding it, the uneducated believe information from it even more." ~Thomas Friedman, New York Times
- "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn." ~Alvin Toffler
Annenberg Media: learner.org
www.khanacademy.org; Yes, The Khan Academy IS the Future of Education
Udemy Aims To Democratize Online Learning
Turning Kids From India's Slums Into Autodidacts
SOLE: Self Organizing Learning Environments
British Kids Log On and Learn Math — in Punjab
SOU making significant changes online: streamline access, utilize social media and connect to new blogs
A Conference (TED) Makes Learning Free (and Sexy) (TED = Technology, Entertainment, Design)
New Web Life for the Dead Sea Scrolls
Scholars Test Web Alternative to Peer Review
Scitable.com Goes Mobile (social network for sci. educ)
iTunes U Downloads Top 300 Million;
NASA moves historic images into Flickr archives (photos)
SAfrican students study math via cell phone
The Learning Machines (1800s-present)
Bill Gates: In Five Years The Best Education Will Come From The Web
Bill Gates talks education tech
Computers at Home: Educational Hope vs. Teenage Reality
Children with home computers likely to have lower test scores
Do home computers help kids learn?
Second Thoughts on Online Education
HSW: How Net Generation Students Work
HSW: How Online Training Works
HSW: How Discovery Education Streaming Works
- "Someday, in the distant future, our grandchildren's grandchildren will develop a new equivalent of our classrooms. They will spend many hours in front of boxes with fires glowing within. May they have the wisdom to know the difference between light and knowledge." ~Plato(?)
- "Why shouldn't we give our teachers a license to obtain software, all software, any software, for nothing? Does anyone demand a licensing fee, each time a child is taught the alphabet?" ~William Gibson
Black colleges look to increase online ed presence
Learning in Dorm, Because Class Is on the Web
For Exposure, Universities Put Courses on the Web
In a Digital Age, Students Still Cling to Paper Textbooks
What if We Ran Universities Like Wikipedia?
Website sponsors gambling on grades at 36 colleges
A Professor's Review of Online Cheat Sheets
Does the Digital Classroom Enfeeble the Mind?
Plagiarism Lines Blur for Students in Digital Age
This Library E-Book Will Self-Destruct After 26 Check Outs
Internet Archive and Library Partners Develop Joint Collection of 80,000+ eBooks To Extend Traditional In-Library Lending Model
eBooks now on NYT best seller list
NFL teams may replace playbooks with iPads
What Kind of E-Reader Are You? Our guide to finding the best way to read: books, mags, blogs, tweets, and, yes, newspapers
Blurring the Line Between Apps and Books
iPads set to replace school textbooks in Georgia state?
Inkling Debuts Interactive iPad Textbook Experience With Photography App
Finding Cheaper Textbooks: 2nd Edition
To Save Students Money, Colleges May Force a Switch to E-Textbooks
Playing Catch-Up in a Digital Library Race
Inside the Google Books Algorithm
LH: When Ebooks Are More (and Less) Cost Effective Than Physical Books
First All-Digital Science Textbook Will Be Free
E-Books Top Hardcovers at Amazon
$200 Textbook vs. Free. You Do the Math
The line between book and Internet will disappear
iPad vs. Newspaper, Fly-Swatting Edition
Curriki: text books; Inkling adapts school textbooks for iPad
Replacing a Pile of Textbooks With an iPad
Google, startup Ortsbo bring 'Star Trek'-like translation to smartphones, chat sites
Word Lens Translates Words Inside of Images
Human translators (for poetry) remain necessary, for the time being.
LH: The Best Language Tools for Geeks
Translate Your Google Docs To 53 Languages Now
Learning a Language From an Expert, on the Web
Voxy Helps You Learn A Language By Text, iPhone, Email And Web
The Met’s Plans For Virtual Expansion
In History-Rich Region, a Very New System Tracks Very Old Things
Internet helps museums net new art lovers
Masterpieces a mouse click away
Are YouTube videos art? Guggenheim museums say yes
health, health records, telemedicine, consumer health informatics
Paging Dr. Watson: IBM to apply Jeopardy! victor's analytic skills to medical diagnoses
Researchers create computer that fits on a pen tip (first use will be for medical monitoring)
Carrots, Sticks and Digital Health Records
Why social media gives your doctor an ulcer
SpamIt, Glavmed Pharmacy Networks Exposed
In a Graying Population, Business Opportunity
Technology To Promote A Healthier Workforce (Virgin HealthMiles)
Wired Up at Home to Monitor Illnesses
Drug Companies Await FDA Guidelines for Online Marketing (Time.com)
Is Wi-Fi killing trees? Maybe. Maybe not
Privacy Groups Fault Online Health Sites for Sharing User Data With Marketers
Internet fuels bad self-diagnoses and 'cyberchondria'
Online Feedback May Boost Weight-Loss Success
Mobile Health Apps Are on the Rise
The Technology for Monitoring Elderly Relatives
Work out, get on scale...tell your friends?
Sharing of Data Leads to Progress on Alzheimer's
Tracking the flu by tracking the tweets
Tracking Groups of Friends May Aid Flu Surveillance
Jonathan Schwartz's New Business Is a Picture of Health
What If Google Stored All Our Medical Records?
Can tech make us healthier?
Online health services (genetic tests) need tighter rules
FDA Asserted Authority Not Only Over Social Media, but Metadata Too
FDA Tells Novartis That 'Facebook Sharing' Widget On Its Site Violates Drug Ad Rules
Web Tool to Check Heart Risk Is Doubted
Google Sues Allegedly Rogue Prescription Drug Advertisers
Web Site (sharecare.com) to Offer Health Advice, Some of It From Marketers
Psychology, Behavior, Addiction
- "Hooked on Internet? Help is a just a click away." ~Anonymous
- "Because we do not understand the brain very well we are constantly tempted to use the latest technology as a model for trying to understand it. In my childhood we were always assured that the brain was a telephone switchboard. ('What else could it be?') I was amused to see that Sherrington, the great British neuroscientist, thought that the brain worked like a telegraph system. Freud often compared the brain to hydraulic and electro-magnetic systems. Leibniz compared it to a mill, and I am told some of the ancient Greeks thought the brain functions like a catapult. At present, obviously, the metaphor is the digital computer." ~John R Searle
- "Just remember: you're not a 'dummy,' no matter what those computer books claim. The real dummies are the people who -- though technically expert -- couldn't design hardware and software that's usable by normal consumers if their lives depended upon it." ~Walter Mossberg
- "What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients." ~Herbert A. Simon
- ""The greatest danger in modern technology isn't that machines will begin to think like people, but that people will begin to think like machines." ~Anonymous
- "Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks." ~Anonymous
Study: Too Much Technology Has Destroyed Our Ability To Sleep
'National Day of Unplugging' (Mar 4-5) --there's an app for that [the site]
Visiting your Facebook profile boosts your self-esteem
TED 2011: Junk Food Algorithms and the World They Feed Us ("personalization bubbles where increasingly the only people and ideas we encounter are the ones we already know rather than expanding our worldview")
How We Spent Time Before the Internet (cartoon)
You'll believe anything you read online, won't you?
Not as Web Savvy as You Think: Young people give Google, other top brand search results too much credibility
If It's On The Internet, It Must Be True
Will Google Make us Stupid?
Is the Web Dumbing Us All Down?
Living in an intellectual Costco ('opinion inflation')
Might your fantasy Web personas become the real you? Stanford psychiatrist sounds a warning
Kids are learning computer skills before life skills
How the internet is changing language
Digital Devices Deprive Brain of Needed Downtime
The Web Shatters Focus, Rewires Brains
Online, We Pay With Our Time Spent Searching
New technologies confuse reality and fiction: Pope Benedict; Pope says internet users risk 'solitude'
The Battle for Control — What People Who Worry About the Internet Are Really Worried About (making us smarter, or superficial info parasites?)
An Ugly Toll of Technology: Impatience and Forgetfulness
Web's Effect on Your Concentration
Growing Up Digital, Wired for Distraction
Always-on technology: Are we adapting, or losing focus?
Did E-mail and the Internet Kill the 9-5 Workday?
Why we can't unplug on vacation
Do nothing for 2 minutes
Study: More say it's OK to be online during sex than a wedding
Are You Reading This During Sex?
LH: How to Deal with Distractions in a Web Worker's World
Video: Multi-Tasking is Bad For Your Brain. Here's How To Fix It
Too Many Facebook Friends Causes Stress
Late-night game parlours to be banned after 10pm (in Vietnam)
Behavior: Too Much Texting Is Linked to Other Problems (smoking, depression, eating disorders, drug and alcohol abuse, and absenteeism)
Imagining a World of Total Connectedness, and Its Consequences (book: World Wide Mind)
A Happy Holidays Songfest (HAPPILY ADDICTED TO THE WEB: To the tune of "Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland")
Forget Information Overload: What If The Real Problem Is Information Underload
Students lonely, frustrated after a day unplugged
Are texting and Facebook worse for teens than TV?
Winona Ryder Explains Why She's Afraid of the Internet
Don't Be Blinded By 'Gadget Lust'
Could Cutting People Off From The Internet Be Dangerous?
Can Facebook make you feel better about yourself?
Hooked on Gadgets, and Paying a Mental Price
More Americans Sense a Downside to an Always Plugged-In Existence
The Risks of Parenting While Plugged In
Mind Over Mass Media
In a World of Online News, Burnout Starts Younger
Links: Not Just the Currency of the Web, but the Soul
How Websites Make You Spill Your Secrets
Pathological Internet Use May Cause Teen Depression
This Guy Is Letting the Internet Tell Him What To Do For a Whole Year
Anti-depressants in the war against game addiction
LH: Why Technology Is So Addictive, and How You Can Avoid Tech Burnout
HSW: Will modern digital communications permanently affect human behavior?
HSW: How wired are we?