- ? 2016 Spring: Ashland
2014 Fall: Ashland; 2013 Spring: Ashland; 2012 Spring: Ashland; 2011 Spring: Ashland, Medford
- Sessions: 6
- Course URL: http://communicrossings.com/olli-course-crosswords-and-you
- Would you like to become better at completing, enjoying and understanding crosswords (and impress your friends)?
- Do you find life puzzling (common in crossword-themed songs)?
- We will explore crossword history and culture, solving strategies, clues, themes, and tools.
- We will solve and discuss puzzles as a group during part of each session to improve our skills.
- We will learn about different types of crosswords, online sources and applications, and cruciverbalism (creating crosswords).
- For the final session, we'll watch the movie documentary WordPlay.
- Below: more about Instructor, Topics and Resources.
About the Instructor
- Steve Weyer has taught Be Safer on the Internet, Crosswords (Intro and Practicum), E-books, and Internet History and Issues at OLLI since 2010. Steve has 45+ years experience with computer software, including research and development on programming languages, learning environments, electronic books, and artificial intelligence at Stanford, Xerox PARC, Atari, HP Labs and Apple. He has developed and distributed a web browser ("Newt’s Cape"), a crossword application ("CrozzWord") and other applications for early mobile devices and smartphones. He has also created crossword puzzles and web sites. Steve has a BS in Math (Univ. of Wash.), and an MS in Statistics and PhD in Education (Stanford); his publications.
- Steve is a long-time crossword buff -- solving puzzles sometimes on paper, now mostly on his iPad. He has published crosswords for the OLLI newsletter and Nine Points Magazine, and also created crosswords for for family and friends. His CrozzWord application was awarded 1st place in the Entertainment/Educational/Multimedia category in the JPDA 2002 Application Developers Contest for Zaurus and iPaq sponsored by Insignia Solutions, HP, Intel, Metrowerks, Sharp, Softbank Publishing and Sun Microsystems.
- After moving to Ashland in 2006 (after several visits in the mid-70s), he’s been enjoying non-technical activities such as hiking, biking, reading (esp. Sci-Fi), theater, improv comedy, and volunteering at Ashland CERT, OLLI at SOU and OSF.
- Enneagram Crucigram (crossword) Nine Points Magazine of the International Enneagram Association; 1/1/2013
- Steve Weyer: Confessions of a technology addict Ashland Daily Tidings; 8/29/2012
- Interview: "Clued in Cruciverbalist", crossword puzzle: "An OLLI Olio: Ooh La La"; [puzzle]; lots of O…L… words; SOU OLLI; LINK Newsletter, p5; Fall 2011
- Crossword music program, and interview with Steve (mp3; 96:22): Maya's Mix (radio show, on KSKQ-LP 94.9 FM, Ashland), Apr 29, 2011
- I welcome feedback -- during class or via Contact Us (under Home menu) -- about particular topics/issues you'd like to discuss, about the pace, level of detail, favorite puzzle sources, other courses you might like to take, etc.
- Session 1. Course Description, Instructor, Topics/Syllabus and Resources
- Why Do We Solve Puzzles?
- History: Milestones (in crosswords) and Media (music, fiction, theater, film, TV, culture)
- Practice: this course is approximately 2/3 presentation, 1/3 practice solving puzzles. If you've already taken this class (or would prefer to skip puzzle history, background and resources) and are looking for additional challenges, I encourage you to participate in one of my practice-only ("practicum") courses, where each session consists entirely of solving crossword puzzles as a group, and discussing the tricky clues and funny themes we find. e.g., CROSSWORDS: Practicum: Intermediate.
- Session 2. Terminology and Types of Crosswords
- Solving Strategies and Resources: tips, tools -- Part 1
- Session 6. WordPlay movie documentary (1:34); note: we'll start class 5 minutes early
- (no Practice; consider enrolling in CROSSWORDS: Practicum: Intermediate)