- 2016 Spring: Ashland; [REC117] Fri, 9:00–10:30AM, 4/8/2016–5/13/2016
2014 Fall: Ashland; 2013 Spring: Ashland; 2012 Spring: Ashland; 2011 Spring: Ashland, Medford
- Sessions: 6
- Course URL: http://communicrossings.com/olli-course-crosswords-and-you
- Would you like to become better at completing, enjoying, understanding and finishing crosswords -- and impress your friends?
- Do you find life puzzling (common in crossword-themed songs)?
- We will explore crossword history and culture, solving strategies, clues, themes, and tools.
- We will solve and discuss puzzles as a group during part of each session to improve our skills.
- We will learn about different types of crosswords, online sources and applications, and cruciverbalism (creating crosswords).
- For the final session, we'll watch the movie documentary WordPlay.
- Below: more about Instructor, Topics and Resources.
About the Instructor
- Session 1. Course Description, Instructor, Topics and Resources
- Why Do We Solve Puzzles?
- History: Milestones (in crosswords) and Media (music, fiction, theater, film, TV, culture)
- Practice: this course is approximately 2/3 presentation, 1/3 practice solving puzzles. If you've already taken this class (or would prefer to skip puzzle history, background and resources) and are looking for additional challenges, I encourage you to participate in one of my practice-only ("practicum") courses, where each session consists entirely of solving crossword puzzles as a group, and discussing the tricky clues and funny themes we find. e.g., CROSSWORDS: Practicum: Intermediate.
- Session 2. Terminology and Types of Crosswords
- Solving Strategies and Resources: tips, tools -- Part 1
- Session 6. WordPlay movie documentary (1:34); note: we'll start class 5 minutes early
- (no Practice)