- ? next: Ask Steve to offer this Beginner-specific practice-only group
previously offered: 2012 Fall, Ashland
- Other beginner practice opportunities:
- attend CROSSWORDS and YOU: introductory class combines lecture and practice; usually offered every year or two
- participate in CROSSWORDS Practicum: Intermediate: practice-only group, where we solve and discuss more difficult puzzles
- Sessions: 6
- Course URL: http://communicrossings.com/olli-course-crosswords-practicum-beginner
- In this beginner-level, practice-only course, we will solve crossword puzzles as a group.
- We'll focus on easy NYT (New York Times) puzzles, along with a few Sunday puzzles.
- We'll enjoy and explain any tricky clues and unusual themes we encounter.
- This practicum is open not only to those who have taken my earlier Crosswords courses, but also to others who would like to improve their crossword skills. (next introductory course -- CROSSWORDS and YOU -- to be offered Spring 2016)
- Below: more about Instructor, Topics and Puzzles.
About the Instructor
- Practicum: [prak-ti-kuhm] n. "the part of a [university] course consisting of practical work in a particular field"
- There will be no planned presentations -- just puzzle practice. However, in the context of solving puzzles, I will highlight interesting/unusual clues and themes, answer questions, and mention reference materials (from my CROSSWORDS and YOU course) that you can access later.
- If you're looking for an introduction to crosswords, including history and culture, vocabulary, clues, themes, formats, sources, applications, and authoring -- along with some practice (1/3 of each session), consider taking my OLLI course: CROSSWORDS and YOU.
- More experienced solvers (though flexible beginners are welcome) may prefer to enroll in an Practice-only course for Intermediate puzzles -- usually once or twice/year.
Puzzles & Process
- Navigation: using this web site
- Resources: where to find materials, e.g., reference sections from CROSSWORDS and YOU
- Each session, we'll select several puzzles that are available online, and appropriate in difficulty for class ability & interest; see: Sample puzzles -- from CROSSWORDS and YOU > Practice
- For more details about the group process and solving applications, see Process -- from CROSSWORDS and YOU > Practice