- Fall 2016: Ashland
Ashland: 2015 Spring; 2014 Spring; 2013 Fall; 2012 Fall (Beginner)
- Sessions: 6
- Course URL: http://communicrossings.com/olli-course-crosswords-practicum-intermediate
- In this intermediate-level, practice-only course, we will solve 'more difficult' crosswords as a group.
- Depending on class ability and interest, puzzles could include New York Times: Thu - Sun; Merl Reagle: Sun; NYT 'Variety' crosswords (Puns & Anagrams (cryptic style), Takeaway, Vowelless); or other word games.
- We'll explain any tricky clues and unusual themes we encounter.
- This practicum is open not only to those who have taken my earlier Crosswords courses, but also to others who would like to improve their crossword skills and have fun.
- Below: more about Instructor, Topics and Puzzles.
About the Instructor
- Practicum: prac·ti·cum [prak-ti-kuhm] n. "the part of a [university] course consisting of practical work in a particular field"; related to "praxis": exercise or practice of an art, science, or skill; practical application of a theory
- There will be no planned presentations -- just puzzle practice. However, in the context of solving puzzles, I will highlight interesting/unusual clues and themes, answer questions, and mention reference materials (from my CROSSWORDS and YOU course) that you can access later.
- Less experienced solvers are welcome; and/or you can consider my introductory CROSSWORDS and YOU course which covers history and culture, vocabulary, clues, themes, formats, sources, applications, authoring, and WordPlay movie -- along with some practice (1/3 of each session) involving easier puzzles.
Puzzles & Process
- Navigation: using this web site
- Resources: where to find materials, e.g., reference sections from CROSSWORDS and YOU
- Each session, we'll select several puzzles that are available online, and appropriate in difficulty for class ability & interest; for example:
- NYT: Wed free
- NYT: Thu-Sun; 'Variety' $; instructor has NYT Digital Subscription
- Merl Reagle 4 most recent; instructor has also saved older puzzles
- LA Times past 4 weeks; User (left column): login, or register for free account; Archives: LA Times (right column)
- Newsday Stanley Newman; esp. themeless "Saturday Stumper"
- cryptic-style, e.g., NYT Variety "Puns & Anagrams"; Cru Cryptics e.g., beginner-friendly
- other word puzzles, e.g., CodeWords, NYT Acrostics
- CROSSWORDS and YOU : Puzzle Sources : Web Sites
- For more details about the solving process, applications & resources, see CROSSWORDS: Practice