- ? 2019 (50th anniv. of ARPAnet)
2014 Winter: Ashland;
(Evolution of the Internet: 2011 Winter: Medford; 2010 Fall: Ashland.
Internet Issues Lecture: 2011 Fall: Ashland)
- Sessions: 5
- Course URL: http://communicrossings.com/olli-course-internet-history-and-issues
- Are you interested in how the Internet developed, and how it and other technologies are affecting us? This course will highlight milestones in the 45+ year history of the Internet -- 20+ years for the World Wide Web, and delve into selected issues, trends and technologies. The course will include lectures and web sites, along with Q&A. Student Internet access is required for course materials. More about course topics below.
About the Instructor
- Over five sessions, this course will highlight milestones in the 45-year history of the Internet (20+ years for the World Wide Web), and delve into selected issues, trends and technologies. It replaces my earlier OLLI course (Evolution of the Internet: History, Technology, Issues), which had been both too broad and too technical.
- This course is neither a basic introduction to using your web browser or email program, nor a guide to buying or troubleshooting a computer, mobile device, or network. Of course, practical questions, suggestions, tips and tricks regarding specific needs, applications & systems will naturally arise, but please realize that I may defer questions like these to breaks or after class. I also provide links to various how-tos that you can browse on your own.
- The overall pace of course and actual division of of topics among sessions will depend on your questions, interests and discussion; initial division of topic is listed below. More course details via the OLLI course menu links at the top, or via the table of contents links at the bottom of this page.
- Introduction. Past - 1950s
- 1950s - 1970s
- 1970s - 1990s
- 1990s - 2000s
- 2000s - Future