Skip to main content
- Connect iPad wirelessly via WiFi to an AirPlay-compatible device
- e.g., Spring 2015: CROSSWORDS: Practicum [Weyer]
- Instructor location: anywhere in room -- within WiFi range
- Mac or Windows laptop (w/ AirPlay server software) or Apple TV;
VGA adapter (Mac) and cable to console Laptop port
classroom Mac could have software installed
- Mac, Win: see specific server software for system requirements
- iOS 5+: for screen sharing; 4+: to share video/audio from selected apps
- Mac/Win, iPad on same WiFi network, e.g.,
SOU-Wireless flaky (or blocking ports)? reconnect / reset IP / reboot?
Bluetooth or ad-hoc connection works with Apple TV or maybe other software?
- iOS (bottom control tray):
AirPlay > 'computer-name'; Mirroring: on
- Screen recording possible
- Multiple devices possible -- set password to limit sharing
- There are several products, with slightly varying requirements & features; volume/educational discounts are available
- AirServer Mac: 10.6+; Win: Vista+; AirPlay, Miracast; reg: $15
- Mirror360 Mac: 10.7+; Win: 7+; $?
- Reflector Mac: 10.7.5+; Win: Vista+; AirPlay, GoogleCast; reg: $15
- X-Mirage Mac: 10.6+, Win: XP+; AirPlay; reg: $16 -- only app I tested
- many more collaboration / subscription-based / screen-sharing / non-Airplay products...
- Wikipedia: AirPlay; DLNA: Digital Living Network Alliance; GoogleCast;
Miracast; UPnP: Universal Plug and Play; WiDi: Wireless Display
- Apple: AirPlay
- How Apple AirPlay Works
- Best AirPlay Apps For Android 3/24/2015
- How to Enable AirPlay Mirroring in iOS to Stream an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch Display Wirelessly 4/6/2014
- Wireless Display Standards Explained: AirPlay, Miracast, WiDi, Chromecast, and DLNA 12/4/2013
- Screen Casting 101: The Wired and Wireless Ways to Share Displays 11/13/2013