ModSaver is a Newt's Cape 2.x-only plugin
for transferring a (short) MOD format sound file to play using Roger Milne's
If the NewtPack plugin is installed,
ModSaver saves the sound as a Newton song package that can be played later from Extras;
otherwise, it passes the temporary sound immediately to ModPlayer.
Feedback about the ModSaver plugin,
successes, or problems including URLs of directory page and specific .mod or .zip file, MIME type,
and version of Newt's Cape, ModSaver and MessagePad to
Feedback about ModPlayer to email@example.com.
- sites (see transfer, zip notes)
- (others? any unzipped .mod files out there?)
- Newt's Cape: select or enter a URL to download a
MOD file directly to Newton
(note: you most likely will have to unzip it first)
- Inbox requires Newt's Cape 2.0x-2(or later);
select document via Newt's Cape:File:Open Inbox or Inbox:Newt's Cape Open
- EE Transfer:
assumes ZModem or transfer protocol that preserves file name and binary content
- SimpleMail 4.0:
select the .mod file via Part picker (ignore 'no stationery' warning)
- (NewtFTP? other email clients?)
- MIME types
- www/unknown (palmzip site), text/plain (?)
- file formats
- only .mod extension supported (not .s3m, .lha, .xm, .it, etc.)
- no checking of MOD variations (incompatible files detected later by
- file size
- although mod data and packages are stored compressed on the Newton,
be sure to have adequate space (~2x MOD size) available on your default store before downloading
- before playing .mod files, you'll have best results if you
close other applications (and any active NIE connection) to maximize system memory/resources.
- .zip files
- (palmzip longer available?) you can use the www.palmzip.com site to retrieve a file from a .zip archive:
- [first time] enter: http://www.palmzip.com/palmzip.nsf/direct?openagent& and select Bookmarks:Add Bookmark
- [other times] Bookmarks:Browse/Schedule, check the partial palmzip URL, action:Display URL
- append your .zip URL; e.g., complete URL might appear as: http://www.palmzip.com/palmzip.nsf/direct?openagent&http://www.eskil.dk/eskil/C64/1942.zip
- tap Newt's Cape button or select File:Open Location
- select link of desired .mod file in result page
- (note: component files that contain spaces don't currently work)
- (future? fix problem with form on the http://www.palmzip.com site)
- (future? zip converter plugin for Newton)
- Newt's Cape status area displays NewtPack saving and installation progress, or possible errors:
- unknown helperApp
- plugin not installed, or file does not end in .mod,
or unrecognized MIME type -- Newt's Cape doesn't download file
- Newton doesn't have enough memory...
- tried to download/save a sound with ModPlayer open,
or play a sound with Newt's Cape open and/or NIE connected?
- out of storage (or system hang)
- failed to create/allocate enough space in advance for both mod data and package?
- unrecognized MOD (in ModPlayer)
- some features/parameters not recognized
- playing sound
- if NewtPack is installed, the sound is saved as Newton package;
open it later (possibly after quitting Newt's Cape) in Extras to play;
distribute the package via email, or to desktop using
- if NewtPack is not installed, the sound is loaded immediately into ModPlayer
- mod title, copyright
- filename is used for title
- copyright defaults to current year and user
Other Approaches to Creation
See ModPlayer discussion
of how to create a MOD song package using Mac/Win NTK.
- 1.0a2 (3 Feb 2000): initial version
© Copyright 2000-2007, S. Weyer. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.