- "Crossword puzzles became a way of life in the 1920s...
- "Another reason for the extraordinary success of crossword puzzles...
- "The Pennsylvania Railroad...
- "A New York man was arrested because...
- "Pickpockets in hotel lobbies,...
- Many "firsts" for crosswords in publications and culture. Much debate about fads and obsessions.
- 1921: first dictionary
- 1922: UK magazine: Pearson's
- 1924: The Cross Word Puzzle Book -- 1st book by Simon & Schuster
- UK newspaper Daily Express
- song: "Crossword Mama You Puzzle Me (But Papa's Gonna Figure You Out)"
- New York Herald-Tribune's National All Comers Cross Word Puzzle Tournament
- crossword rules, e.g., rotational symmetry
- 1925: musical revue: "Puzzles of 1925"
- animated short Disney film: "Alice Solves the Puzzle"
- mystery story: "The Fascinating Problem of Uncle Meleager's Will"
- 1926: cryptic crossword in UK
- A Budapest man committed suicide,...
- Margaret Farrar (later, at Simon&Schuster, then even later, 1st NYT editor) is hired by The New York World as a secretary, but soon finds herself assisting Arthur Wynne with proofreading puzzles. Her puzzles soon exceed Wynne's in popularity.
- "The latest craze to strike libraries is the crossword puzzle...
- In the 1920s, as now, there were 2 schools of puzzle solution fans:...
- Colonel H.W. Hill publishes the first "Quickway" Crossword Dictionary.
- Pearson's [1st UK magazine w/ crossword]
- Morning Oregonian and other newspapers published a comic strip...
- Simon & Schuster found a company to publish The Cross Word Puzzle Book...
- "The cross word solver becomes a collector,...
- "All ages, both sexes, highbrows and lowbrows,...
- "Some folks were driven over the edge by the craze...
- Crossword Mama You Puzzle Me (But Papa's Gonna Figure You Out) (song) (audio: 2:32); Will Shortz on NPR On the Media: Life Squared (interview; excerpts; 4:07-4:40;9:20-12:54); MayasMix @ 13:24; lyrics:
"You treat me like an orphan in a storm / Crossword books won't keep my tootsies warm.
Crossword Mama, you puzzle me / But Papa's gonna figure you out.
Washington, he crossed the Delaware / Columbus crossed the ocean blue
If there's any more crossing to be done / Papa's gonna double-cross you..."
- Cross-word puzzle blues (song) (audio; 2:37)
- Rotational symmetry was one of many crossword conventions established by the Amateur Crossword Puzzle League of America
- Daily Express [1st UK newspaper w/ crossword]
- Ruth Franc Von Phul won the New York Herald-Tribune's National All Comers Cross Word Puzzle Tournament the age of 20; NYT obituary
- The Crossword Puzzle: Where'd The Women Go? 8/21/2013
- "[The crossword] has grown from the pastime of a few ingenious idlers...
- Puzzles of 1925 (musical revue); crossword sanitarium scene: solvers who had lost their minds. "Since Ma's Gone Crazy Over Cross Word Puzzles" (lyrics):
"The house has gone to ruin / Since all that Mother's doin' /
Is putting letters in the little squares /
We live on canned tomatoes / And old cold boiled potatoes
No wonder when he comes home / Father swears"
- I've Got the Crossword Puzzle Blues (song) by D. J. Michaud and Marguerite A. Bruce; performed by jazz clarinettist Bob Fuller; "I'm feeling awfully down, and cross. I spend all day solving, but I still don't have a clue"
- Alice Solves the Puzzle animated short Disney film
- Cross-Words (Between Sweetie and Me) (song; 3:48);
"Sorrow has torn at my heart strings / I wonder who is to blame
My sweetie never has time for me / She's deep in love with a game
Crosswords have made me blue as can be, / Cross, crosswords between my sweetie and me,
She's been puzzling, don't seem to care / Whether I'm near her or taking the air
I'm jealous. How can I win sympathy? I'm hoping she'll soon need L-O-V-E.
Every night in our little home / We sit together, but I'm all alone.
She's so contrary / Her old dictionary and crosswords are sweeter than me."
- even more songs: Cross word papa you sure' do puzzle me;
Cross-word puzzle of love; Cross words; Crosspuzz;
Crossword (The) puzzle glide; Do you do cross-word puzzles;
I'm a cross word puzzle fan; My cross-word puzzle girl;
They're doing cross word puzzles now; Your cross-words are making me blue
- That Guiltiest Feeling cartoon; Clare Briggs; cross word craze, covering earth
- Felix All Puzzled Felix the Cat cartoon directed by Otto Messmer; Flash: 2:50
- The Fascinating Problem of Uncle Meleager's Will (story; Lord Peter Wimsey) by Dorothy L. Sayers
- Puzzled by Crosswords (movie; comedy)
- "Judging from the number of solvers in the subway...
- Range of opinions about crossword longevity:...
- "Fortunately, the question of whether the puzzles are beneficial or harmful...
- "A New York Telephone Co. employee shot his...
- (at right) 100-year old Ambrose Hines solving a puzzle in 1925
- Popular interest in the 1920s is shown by aids which were marketed to help puzzle-solvers...
- The main interest among fans in the 1920s was in the puzzle as an aid to language development...
- Crossword suicide, latest update 4/1/2013
- Budapest crossword suicide, revealed!(Mostly) 2/20/2013
- Budapest crossword suicide? 10/30/2009
- "A woman who has small children...
- Crossword film; Japan
- "Helen Keller did Braille crosswords and recommended them to the blind."
- "The cryptic crossword is invented by Edward Powys Mathers, who uses the pseudonym of Torquemada. He devises them for The Observer newspaper."
- The Roaring 20s crossword; NYT Learning Network
- Saucy "Crosswords" Postcards by Donald McGill in 1920s
- Roaring Twenties: Fads The Charleston; 1st Miss America Pageant; Flagpole Sitting; Mah-Jongg; Crossword Puzzlel Book-of-the-Month Club; Time; Reader's Digest
- Wikipedia: 1920s
- The Decades That Invented the Future: Part 3: 1920s R.U.R. (robots); IBM 80-Column Punch Card; Amphibious Warfare; Art Deco; Babe Ruth; Tri-motor Airplane; Leica I and the 35mm Standard; Polygraph; Scopes Monkey Trial; McKinsey and Company; Traffic Light; Mickey Mouse; 11/2/2012
- Paleofuture: 1920s