- Crossword authors (aka "cruciverbalists") create puzzles using a variety of methods: paper, online sites, applications
- paper: watch Merl Reagle in action in WordPlay
- featured websites: custompuzzles, armoredpenguin, emogic
- featured application: Crossword Compiler [slideshow]
- [Refs]: "How Crossword Puzzles Are Made"
- [Refs]: "Why are crossword puzzles symmetrical?"
- [Refs]: "These Are The Longest Words In The English Language, And They're Insane"
- [Refs]: "A Plagiarism Scandal Is Unfolding In The Crossword World"
- "Lisa: Guess what, mom? I'm a cruciverbalist!...
- Cruciverbalist /ˌkruːsɪˈvəːbəlɪst/
- Q: What do crossword puzzle editors do to relax?...
- "Crosswords, like any art,...
- "At the junction of 'across' and 'down'...
- "There is a formal poetry...
- "Complexity can be a trap...
Simplified Authoring Process
- choose overall theme or list of words
- pick a grid size, shape and layout
- fill in main words / phrases
- fill in other words
- create clues
- add title, author, copyright
- graph paper, pencil, dictionary & thesaurus
- + great flexibility
- - time consuming
- web browser with form to specify parameters, words, clues
- + simple to use
- + free, inexpensive
- - limited options: free-form style, output formats
- A few web sites (alphabetical), many oriented toward teachers, for creating simple puzzles.
- Sample answer:clue list to upload into armoredpenguin other free-form sites may require different separator character, or answer and clue copied & pasted into separate fields
- abcteach $; *armoredpenguin; crosswordpuzzlegames; *custompuzzles
- discoveryeducation; edhelper $; *Emogic's Infinite Crossword Generator; theteacherscorner
- desktop apps to generate puzzles, e.g., Crossword Compiler
- + grid generation, clue numbering
- + dictionary for reference or auto-fill-in
- + output in variety of formats: interactive / static web page, .puz, .pdf, .jpg, Word
- + various platforms, i.e., Windows (Win), Macintosh (Mac), Linux (Lnx)
- - learning curve
- - cost
- see Applications section: draft alphabetical list of selected desktop authoring applications
- see References section: general articles about authoring, cruciverbalism