- ? Fall 2018: Ashland
previously offered: Fall 2017: Ashland; 2016 Fall: Ashland; 2016 Winter: Medford; 2015 Fall: Ashland; 2015 Spring: Ashland
- Sessions: 6
- Course URL: http://communicrossings.com/olli-course-be-safer-internet
- To previous students: these pages are updated periodically -- be sure to check back for advice, esp. about issues highlighted in the news
- In particular, the Course Updates page will highlight major issues, e.g., Meltdown/Spectre CPU vulnerabilities, latest software updates, Equifax hack, etc.
- The goal of this lecture course is to help you improve the privacy and security of your personal information -- online and offline.
- It presents preventive strategies, discusses trade-offs and prioritizes practical steps to reduce your risks (even from the NSA!) for computers, tablets, smartphones and the "Internet of Things".
- Topics include strong passwords, password managers, software updates, local & cloud backups, WiFi and router setup,
browsing, email, messaging, encryption, malware, ad blocking, VPNs, social media, travel.
- Students should be familiar with the location of their system and browser settings.
- Specific settings will be demonstrated only for latest macOS and iOS (iPad/iPhone) systems, Safari browser and selected apps.
- However, users of Android, Windows and other/older devices could use provided references to adjust similar settings.
- Recommended e-book: Take Control of Your Online Privacy (discounted version available).
- More about the course: Introduction: Approach, Audience, Devices, Topics, E-books
About the Instructor