- Word puzzles can exercise your vocabulary -- in multiple languages.
- Well-designed crosswords are more than a collection of words (esp. weird 'crosswordese'), and obvious clues -- they force us to think outside (and inside) the box.
- [Refs]: "Crosswords improve vocabulary and increase trivia knowledge"
- [Refs]: "The Benefits Of Bilingual Spanish-English Crosswords"
- "Crosswords appear in every language in the world. Chinese crosswords...
- "Words are, of course,...
- "In North America, crossword puzzle editors use what has come to be known as 'The Breakfast Test'...
- "We try to do a Shakespeare play every year, because...
- "I can't remember a single thing I learned. Except for...
- "My being a writer and playing Scrabble are connected...
- "I love words. If I get a puppy...
- A Journey Into the Merriam-Webster Word Factory Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries by Kory Stamper; 3/22/2017
- Dictionary Fans Might Squee: OED Adds New Words, Because YOLO 9/12/2016
- What 74 Years of Crossword History Says About the Language We Use the world may have become more globalized, but the venerable puzzle now relies less on international words and place names; interactive charts; UBER; LIPO; NADA; ITO; MOI; 2/6/2016
- And Your 2015 Word of the Year Is -- the Face With Tears of Joy Emoji? 11/16/2015
- Puzzling Through My Fiction writing analogy: The Blank Beginning; The Walk-Away; The Dam Breakage; The Slow Clap; 8/15/2015
- The Use of Crossword Puzzles as a Vocabulary Learning Strategy A Case of English as a Second Language in Kenyan Secondary Schools; 2/2013
- Study reveals words' Darwinian struggle for survival 3/21/2012
- Coming soon to a crossword puzzle near you -- 100 new words MailTribune; 7/12/2009
- The Benefits Of Bilingual Spanish-English Crosswords 5/30/2008
- Words on the brain MailTribune: Varble; 2/22/2008
- Partying with all the gnus that fit MailTribune: Varble; [.pdf]
- The World's Geekiest Crossword Puzzle you'll need to know a bit of Klingon, Elvish, Furbish, Esperanto and a handful of other constructed languages; 2/20/2007
- ESL Games
- textbooks often include crosswords to test vocabulary and subject knowledge