Courses that I am teaching or have taught at OLLI at SOU (Osher Lifelong Learning Inst. at So. Oregon Univ.):
- [ongoing] OLLI Interest Group: Sci-Fi Movies: watch new (or classic) Sci-Fi movies
- [? Fall 2017] Be Safer on the Internet: protecting privacy & improving security -- tips and tools
- [? Winter 2018] CROSSWORDS and YOU: history & culture; solving strategies & tips; puzzle sources; authoring; group practice
- [?] CROSSWORDS Practicum: Intermediate: solve and discuss "more difficult" puzzles as a group
- [?] E-books: history; trends; e-readers and tablets; issues for publishers, bookstores, libraries, authors, newspapers
- [?] Internet History and Issues: technology milestones and societal impacts
- see bottom of my OLLI page for other possible courses
Some recent interviews & articles, in addition to selected, older publications:
- Enneagram Crucigram: Nine Points Magazine of the International Enneagram Association; 1/1/2013;
Steve's puzzle and solution page (.pdf, .puz, interactive)
- Steve Weyer: Confessions of a technology addict Ashland Daily Tidings; Aug 29, 2012; [.pdf]
- Crossword puzzle: "An OLLI Olio: Ooh La La", Interview: "Clued in Cruciverbalist"; OLLI LINK Newsletter, p5; Fall 2011; print, interactive versions
- Maya's Mix: Crosswords radio program, music and interview with Steve (mp3; 96:22); KSKQ-LP 94.9 FM, Ashland; Apr 29, 2011.
- Questing for the "Dao": DowQuest and Intelligent Text Retrieval. Weyer, Stephen A. Online. 13(5): 39-48; September 1989.
- As We May Learn; Weyer, Stephen A.; in Interactive Multimedia: Visions of Multimedia for Developers, Educators, and Information Providers, Ambron, Sueann and Hooper, Kristina (eds).; pp. 87-103, Microsoft Press; 1988.
- A prototype electronic encyclopedia; Weyer, Stephen A.; Borning, Alan H. ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems. 3(1): 63-88; January, 1985. (reprinted in Educational Computing, Scanlon, Eileen and O'Shea, Tim (eds.); pp. 271-296. John Wiley, New York; 1986)
- Knoesphere: building expert systems with encyclopedic knowledge; Lenat, D., Borning, A., McDonald, D., Taylor, C., Weyer, S.
Proceedings of the 8th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-83) Karlsruhe, West Germany, 1983. pp. 167-169.
- Design of a dynamic book for information search; Weyer, Stephen A. International Journal of Man-Machine Studies. 17(1): 87-107; July 1982. (based on 1981 Stanford PhD dissertation (Xerox PARC SCG 82-1): Searching for Information in a Dynamic Book)
- Steve's crosswords; Steve's software (next)
For learning and communicating on mobile devices (note: no longer actively supported):
- Newton: Newt's Cape (e-book-based web browser);
NewtDevEnv (NewtonScript development environment);
newtVNC (network screen sharing);
Sloup (notes/data xfer);
Waba (Java development); ...
- Zaurus: CrozzWord (crossword application); ...
- (complete software list)
CommuniCrossings / Steve
- CommuniCrossings -- Software for Mobile Learning and Communication. My former company's name derives from the intersection of "communication" and many other things: learning, computers, life, .... It was also influenced by our living then in Washington Crossing, PA, and my love of crosswords (and development of CrozzWord).
- I will continue pursuing these interests, especially tablet computing, software and electronic books, while on permanent sabbatical (I really don't like the term 'retired') -- when not hiking, backpacking (on right: iPad with Topomaps at Sky High Lakes in Marble Mtn Wilderness), biking, cross-country skiing, volunteering for CERT, attending OLLI classes, going to theater, e.g., OSF, etc. in wonderful Ashland in southern Oregon.
- Steve Weyer's bio; Contact: Steve
- backpacking: Lower Rogue River; Trinity Alps; Marble Mts.; Russian Wilderness
- Bicycling around Crater Lake: 30 mi., 3300'; Sep 2015
- South Sister (near Bend); 7 mi., 4000'; Sep 2015
- New Zealand (So. Island): Dec 2013-Jan 2014; Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- Mt. McLoughlin, Sep 2013
- Patagonia & Tierra del Fuego, Jan. 2012; Jan. 2013
- Mt. Ashland Hillclimb 5600' gain over 13.3 miles from Lithia Park to the top of Mt. Ashland (hiked twice)
- Peru Summer 2007