Courses that I am/have been/might be teaching at OLLI at SOU (Osher Lifelong Learning Inst. at So. Oregon Univ.):
- Evolution of the Internet: ?2013 Fall [Ashland]; 2011 Winter [Medford]; 2010 Fall [Ashland]
- CROSSWORDS Practicum: Intermediate: ?2013 Fall [Ashland]
- E-books: ?2014 Winter [Ashland]; 2012 Fall [Ashland]; 2012 Spring [Medford]; 2011 Fall [Ashland]
- CROSSWORDS and YOU: ?2014 Spring [Ashland]; 2013 Spring [Ashland]; 2012 Spring [Ashland]; 2011 Spring [Ashland; Medford]
- CROSSWORDS Practicum: Beginner: 2012 Fall [Ashland]
- Internet Issues: Oct 5, 2011 (Community Lecture) [Ashland]
Some recent interviews & activities, in addition to selected, older publications:
- Enneagram Crucigram: Nine Points Magazine of the International Enneagram Association; 1/1/2013;
Steve's puzzle (.pdf, .puz, Java) and solution page
- Steve Weyer: Confessions of a technology addict Ashland Daily Tidings; Aug 29, 2012; [.pdf] (w/o 'Trips' photo: below)
- Interview: "Clued in Cruciverbalist", crossword puzzle: "An OLLI Olio: Ooh La La"; OLLI LINK Newsletter, p5; Fall 2011 [puzzle]
- Maya's Mix: Crosswords radio program, music and interview with Steve (mp3; 96:22); KSKQ-LP 94.9 FM, Ashland; Apr 29, 2011.
- Questing for the "Dao": DowQuest and Intelligent Text Retrieval. Weyer, Stephen A. Online. 13(5): 39-48; September 1989.
- As We May Learn; Weyer, Stephen A.; in Interactive Multimedia: Visions of Multimedia for Developers, Educators, and Information Providers,
Ambron, Sueann and Hooper, Kristina (eds).; pp. 87-103, Microsoft Press; 1988.
- A prototype electronic encyclopedia; Weyer, Stephen A.; Borning, Alan H. ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems. 3(1): 63-88; January, 1985.
(reprinted in Educational Computing, Scanlon, Eileen and O'Shea, Tim (eds.); pp. 271-296. John Wiley, New York; 1986)
- Knoesphere: building expert systems with encyclopedic knowledge; Lenat, D., Borning, A., McDonald, D., Taylor, C., Weyer, S.
Proceedings of the 8th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-83) Karlsruhe, West Germany, 1983. pp. 167-169.
- Design of a dynamic book for information search; Weyer, Stephen A. International Journal of Man-Machine Studies. 17(1): 87-107; July 1982.
(based on 1981 Stanford PhD dissertation: Searching for Information in a Dynamic Book)
Software for mobile devices for learning and communicating -- developed by CommuniCrossings (note: no longer actively supported):
- Newton: Newt's Cape (e-book based web browser); NewtDevEnv (NewtonScript-based development environment); newtVNC; ...
- Java: Zaurus, Waba: CrozzWord; ...
- (complete product list)
- backpacking: Lower Rogue River; Trinity Alps; Marble Mts.; Russian Wilderness
- Patagonia & Tierra del Fuego, Jan. 2012
- Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail: Southern Oregon Jun 2010; co-led thru Road Scholar
- Mt. Ashland Hillclimb 5600' gain over 13.3 miles from Lithia Park to the top of Mt. Ashland (hiked twice)
- Peru Summer 2007
-- Software for Mobile Learning and Communication. My former company's name derives from the intersection of "communication" and many other things: learning, computers, life, .... It was also influenced by our living then in Washington Crossing, PA, and my love of crosswords (and development of CrozzWord).
I will continue pursuing these interests, especially tablet computing and electronic books, while on permanent sabbatical (I really don't like the term 'retired') -- when not hiking, backpacking (on right: iPad with Topomaps at Sky High Lakes in Marble Mtn Wilderness), going to theater, etc. in wonderful Ashland, OR.
[updated: 20-May-2013] Contact: Steve Weyer